Darrell Derk won an additional award for “Businessman of the year”
Derks Formals and Menswear won the award for formalwear/menswear and their on going commitment to quality, service, and excellence.
This is our 10th Consumer Choice Award in a row.
The Derks Family would like to thank their hard working team as there is no greater compliment than winning an award that commends our staffs achievments in business excellence and customer service.
Congrats, you’re officially married . . . What now? The reception lunch/dinner party of course! With every wedding celebration, there will surely be toasts all around. Therefore, by providing unique “drink” options, it is a great way to allow everyone to join in on the festivities.
We recently came across these two fun beverage alternatives that look just like your regular flute of bubbly champagne or an elegant glass of red wine . . . but they’re non-alcoholic!
Using the finest quality tea, Golden Star’s sparkling tea is hand steeped in small batches, sweetened with raw sugarcane juice, and finished with a mild fermentation that combines age-old traditions with modern winemaking techniques. The result is a non-alcoholic (0.5% ABV) beverage that provides a perfect balance of rounded sweetness and complex acidity.
Golden Star describes that it has a “flush of effervescence reminiscent of fine Champagne, and a delicate note of ‘brioche’ with a floral jasmine nose. Golden Star White Jasmine Sparkling Tea pairs superbly with a wide variety of cuisines, and is sure to deliver an ideal performance on the table and when raised up in celebration.”
Next on our watch list is Unwine’s list of wine-like juices that are free of sugars, preservatives, and filled with polyphenols – antioxidants found in blackberries, red grapes, and black currants. With their wide selection, there is sure to be a UnWine flavor & color for every non-alcoholic wine drinking connoisseur. Yoyo mama’s review of PureBlue affirms that it was a hit at their Un-Wine Tasting! Yoyomama describes PureBlue as “much sweeter than your average bottle of red wine, [but] not nearly as sweet, or grape-y, as grape juice. Here’s a short list of UnWine’s juice selection:
PureBlue – a blend of juices from wild blueberries, black currents and unfermented merlot, sauvignon blanc and syrah grapes, the same grapes that make red wine beneficial to your health!
PureBlack – featuring blackberries and aconia berries.
PureRed – pomegranate and cranberry based, and incredibly dry and delicious.
PureWhite – combines coconut water and lulo fruit with sauvignon blanch grapes which coconut lovers will enjoy!
With these delicious non-alcoholic beverages to supplement your drink list, get ready for the lovely toasts that will be given by all . . . Cheers!
Thanksgiving … you’re the newlyweds and newly elected by your new family to do the next holiday dinner. You can still sail into preparing a family feast with ease if you organize your menu and ingredients beforehand.
With both members of your family working, you need to keep this meal as effortless as possible but still come up with a traditional family fare in a polished and simple manner. Not as hard as it looks! With a little effort and organization, you’ll pull this off and impress both your new and your existing family.
Let’s Talk Turkey Tips
• Make sure your turkey is fresh, or if it is frozen, completely defrosted
• Remove neck and organs from inside the turkey
• Wash the turkey in cold water
• Put olive oil in bottom of turkey pan
• Put turkey in pan (check before to make sure your turkey fits in your pan)
• Stuff the turkey
• Baste the turkey with melted butter. (Baste hourly)
• Put salt, pepper, and a small amount of granulated garlic on the turkey
• Cook your turkey 15 minutes per pound at 350 F
• A roaster with a lid is your best bet to cook turkey in
Fast fixing tip: For convenience, cook the bacon, onion and celery mixture for the stuffing, perogies and brussel sprouts in one frying pan to save on time and clean-up.
• 4 slices diced bacon
• 2 cups diced onion
• 1 cup diced celery
• 10-12 slices bread (cubed)
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup melted butter
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 tbsp. poultry seasoning
• 1 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1 1/2 tsp. Pepper
– Fry bacon, onions, and celery until golden in olive oil-Add bread, eggs,
butter, and poultry seasoning
– Mix well
– Add salt and pepper to taste
• For convenience, use frozen brussel sprouts as they are cut
• Boil the brussel sprouts
• Add 1 cup (bacon, celery, and onion mixture)
Perogies in Golden Cheddar Mushroom Sauce
• 2 cans cheddar cheese soup
• 2 cans golden mushroom soup
• 2 cans chicken broth
• 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
• 1 cup (bacon, celery, onion mixture)
• 2 pkg. Perogies
• salt, pepper to taste
– Put into a Dutch Oven or large covered casserole dish, add all
ingredients but perogies and mix well
– Make sure perogies are covered by liquid-Bake at 325 F for 3 hours
Gravy Mushroom Gravy
• Use the drippings left in the roasting pan after removing the turkey
• Add 2 cups sliced button mushrooms (fresh or frozen)
• Cook until mushrooms are cooked
• In a bowl, mix 1 cup cold water and 2 tbsp flour. Make sure there are no
• Add to mixture, cook 5 minutes on medium heat
• Add salt and pepper to taste
2 weeks before:
• Order a fresh turkey
• Make a shopping list
• Order flowers
1 week before:
• Make and freeze your dessert (or ask one of your relatives to bring
1 day before:
• Shop for your groceries
• Set the table and decide what serving platters you will use
• Dice the onions and celery and put into Ziplock bags
5 hours before:
• Fry onions, celery and bacon
• Preheat the oven
• Make the dressing for turkey
• Stuff the turkey
4 hours before:
• Put the turkey in the oven
• Put together appetizers
3 hours before:
• Peel the potatoes, put into a pot with cold water and some salt
• Baste the turkey
• Put the perogies on to cook
2 hours before:
• Make the salad and dressing
• Turn on the potatoes
• Baste the turkey
1 hour before:
• Put out the appetizer tray
• Baste the turkey – if it is not brown enough, take the lid off and if it too
brown, cover it with foil
45 minutes before:
• Cook the brussel sprouts
• Cook the corn
30 minutes before:
• Take the turkey out and put it on a platter
• Make the gravy